I did not take into account one thing: the product was advertised as effective in the fight against cockroaches, but I have a different situation - bedbugs at home. Now I'm wondering if it will work or not. Although, it says on the spray that the product kills all crawling insects. Theoretically, this is my case, too. But common sense wants confirmation. Tell me if Reid helps from bed bugs, reviews by real people are contradictory. In addition, they do not specify what pests were treated against.
The author of the portal answers the question:
In my material below, you will learn about all forms of the drug Reid and the possibility of using it against bed bugs.
The main characteristics of the "Raid" means
There are several varieties of preparations of this brand designed to kill bed bugs. They are predominantly multi-component. This contributes to the effectiveness of the remedies because the parasite is exposed to poisons with different properties. All Reid bed bug remedies have one thing in common - easy treatment of objects.
The use of several insecticides can reduce the risk of developing resistance in parasites.
The active components contained in many preparations of this type belong to the class of pyrethroids. They have in common a synthetic base, a nerve agent action, the ability to influence parasites that are at different stages of development (larvae, nymphs, imago). Due to the multi-component composition Reid gets rid of bed bugs much faster than single-component compositions.
Even with the emergence of insect resistance to one of the substances, the other poison has an effect on the parasites. As a result, the effectiveness of the product is not reduced. On the contrary, if the composition includes three insecticides, it further increases the chances of complete elimination of pests, especially in the case when bed bugs do not develop resistance to any of the components.
Insects are exposed to three pyrethroids simultaneously, as a result the strength of the spray increases. The death of the parasites occurs earlier.
Action of the drug
All pyrethroids provide a similar effect - they affect the nervous system of insects. However, this result is achieved in different ways. Thus, cypermethrin promotes disruption of ion current, negatively affects the operation of the sodium channel. As a result, the nervous system of insects is affected. They stop reproducing, cannot feed, because synaptic disturbances have occurred in the body, excitability has increased, and overexcitation has occurred as a consequence.
Then comes paralysis.
Insecticides have different effects on parasites. For example, pralectrin is a volatile substance. It is distinguished by its ability to be released quickly during treatment and to spread rapidly. This makes it possible to use such a remedy against flying and crawling insects (bedbugs, among others). In the second case, the poison penetrates into the body of parasites through the respiratory tract.
At the same time, cypermethrin, the No. 1 insecticide of the pyrethroid group, also has an effect on bed bugs. This substance exhibits intestinal contact action. The insecticide in the Reid tool gets rid of bed bugs by getting the poison on their outer shell and in the respiratory tract. However, the second method of delivering the poisoning agent is realized if you spray directly over the nest where there are a lot of bed bugs.
Then the insecticide penetrates into the insects' respiratory tracts before it is deposited on the surface.
How effective is "Reid" against bed bugs
Such a preparation provides a good result, during and after the treatment most of the insects. However, it has no ovicidal effect - it does not kill the eggs of bed bugs. But in this case the larvae are killed. They emerge from their protective shells and immediately come into contact with the insecticide (for this reason it is not recommended to wash the poison off surfaces during cleaning). As a consequence, the new generation is killed.
However, aerosols (regardless of the composition) quickly lose their properties, weathered after spraying. For this reason, they should be used when the object is slightly or moderately contaminated.
Otherwise, you will have to fight the bloodsuckers again in a few weeks/months.
Types and main characteristics of insecticides
The preparation Reid against bed bugs is represented by several varieties. They differ in form of release, composition. However, not all of these means are effective in the fight against parasites. It is necessary to compare them by their properties.
The drug in this form is represented by 3 types, each of which can be used to kill bed bugs:
- Lavender Aerosol - designed for different pests (flying and crawling, including bedbugs). The fragrance enhances the smell of the product. The drug contains 3 more components: cypermethrin, pralectrin, imiprotrin. The manufacturer claims that the insects die instantly. At the same time it provides protection for the object for the next 7 days. It is not allowed to treat bedding. The substance should be sprayed with the windows open.
- Aerosol Reid Max Spring Meadow. After treatment there is a more pleasant smell than when using insecticides in pure form. In addition to the fragrance, the composition includes components that exhibit poisonous activity against crawling and flying insects: imiprotrin, cyfluthrin, pralectrin. The contents of the container is enough to treat a room with an area of up to 12 sq. m.
- Reid aerosol against cockroaches and ants (in a red can). The manufacturer positions this product as effective in killing the insects mentioned in the name. However, on the can itself there is a note in small letters that the drug can also be used to remove bedbugs and fleas. Composition: ciprothrin, imiprotrin. Like other aerosols, this variety is used with open windows. The drug consumption is 20 g/cub. m.
Reid from bedbugs in this form does not apply.
This preparation is positioned as effective in the control of cockroaches and ants. The gel contains an insecticide as well as an attractant that attracts insects. The difficulty is that bed bugs do not respond to such additives. They are attracted by blood, scent, and the warmth of the human body.
But, this does not mean that the gel should not be used. It contains 1 active ingredient - lambda-cyhalothrin. It is a pyrethroid of intestinal contact action. If it gets on the body of the bedbug, the parasite will die. But to get this result, the gel is applied in places where the insect can crawl, which is difficult to predict.
Pests of this species live in their nests, but can crawl on many other covers.
The product is positioned as effective against cockroaches. It contains a bait as well as the insecticide abamectin. Theoretically, such a poison can kill and bedbugIt is a group of biological pesticides, belongs to the class of avermectins and has an intestinal contact action. However, it is impossible to trap a bed bug. It does not respond to organic food as cockroaches do.
So, it is inexpedient to use traps to destroy the bloodsuckers.
Instructions for use
The rules of application differ depending on the form of the product. For example, Reid gel should be applied to areas where parasites can get inside the apartment. But this is more of a preventive measure. The aerosol is used according to the instructions for use:
- Wear personal protective equipment.
- Prepare the room.
- Shake the can with the working solution inside.
- The windows open.
- The cylinder is placed at a distance of 20-50 cm from the coating / object to be treated.
- After 30-60 minutes, you need to ventilate the room. A draft should be made for at least half an hour.
General cleaning after the end of the procedure is carried out in a few days, for example, in 7 days (depending on the type of remedy and the duration of its prolonged action).
On the first day after spraying it is recommended to clean some surfaces: a table, armrests, switches, door handles.
Bed bug treatment sites
To properly perform the procedure, you need to know where to meet bloodsuckers most often. It is these areas that should be treated:
- sleeping place: sofa or bed, as well as a mattress, it is preliminarily removed and installed next to any vertical surface;
- floor (all joints of parquet, laminate, baseboard);
- wall decorations (photos, clocks, paintings, etc.);
- areas around outlets and switches;
- on the back of the rug;
- under the window sill, behind the radiators;
- behind cabinets, nightstands, armchairs and dressers.
Preparing the room
Free the approaches to areas that are difficult to reach. It is important to take things to another room: clothes are washed at high temperatures, bed linen and bedspreads are treated in the same or another way, but not with insecticide. The aquarium can be covered with glass, it is important that it is as tight to the metal frame as possible.
No utensils or food should be in the room.
The main thing is to observe safety precautions
Do not eat, drink water or beverages, or smoke in the treated area. When sprayed, insecticide particles may enter human respiratory tract. You should wear a respirator and safety glasses. Wear clothing that covers the body as much as possible, this will prevent the substance particles from settling on the skin. Hands, face should be washed under running water with soap and water.
Download the official instruction for use of "Reid" against bed bugs
Disadvantages and advantages of Raid spray
The product of this brand has many positive qualities:
- ease of use;
- combined action due to different types of insecticides in the composition;
- the ability to treat with windows open, which reduces the concentration of the product and the risk of poisoning;
- no unpleasant odor;
- Versatility: different insects die after treatment.
The disadvantages of using Reid include:
- short-lived effect;
- the ability to remove bed bugs when the infestation is mild to moderate;
- the drug does not kill eggs parasites.
Price and where to buy Reid
Some of the offers can be explored in the table below. The cost depends on the pricing policy of the store and on the region.
Video overview of "Reid" preparations
- traps you can not even buy if you need to get rid of bed bugs, but the gel (which is positioned as a drug against cockroaches) is quite suitable, I would recommend first apply a viscous product in places where the parasites can crawl, such as the perimeter of the vent, along the baseboards where there are gaps, the perimeter of the door unit or just on the threshold, near the windows and in places where pipes enter the apartment, after that you can treat your home aerosol;
- it is possible to get rid of bed bugs by spraying the product twice (after 14 days), this is the main measure to kill the young generation of insects, which emerged from the eggs.