The situation is difficult, because all the clothes need to be cleaned as quickly as possible. You may have to take them to the dry cleaner, but it would be a shame to give them away in such a condition. What if there are big bugs, no one knows. One thing is clear, we're not coming here again, because it's a lot of stress for me. My husband's sister does not see the problem, saying that the house is old, bedbugs are here often, they do not disturb, as they do not bite. It's a nightmare, but there's nothing to do, everyone chooses their own way. The question is different, can bed bugs live in your clothes, closet and blanket. I hope for a quick answer. Thank you.
The author of the portal answers the question:
In my material below, you will learn if bed bugs can live on human clothing and can be carried on clothing.
Habitats of parasites
To find out if bedbugs live in the clothes, it is necessary to understand the principle of inhabiting the living space. Thus, pests try to settle closer to the sleeping place of a person. Once in the apartment/home, they first find the host. Then they choose a hidden area where they can remain unnoticed.
First of all, there is an infestation of the room where a person's sleeping place is, the insects hide inside the construction of the bed, sofa.
As they multiply parasites is becoming more and more numerous. And this is happening rapidly, as a result, there is a need to find new habitats.
Where and how to find bed bugs
You should look for signs of parasites in the areas:
- inside the sockets;
- under the carpeting;
- inside the upholstered furniture, which is next to the bed;
- in the lighting fixtures installed near the sleeper;
- in closets, on shelves and clothes, underwear, but this is possible provided that closet items are not used for a long time;
- on the back walls of the decor elements;
- behind the baseboards;
- in the cracks of the floor, walls;
- at the joints of the wallpaper (if the coating has broken away from the surface).
Bed bugs spend most of the day in a dormant state.
They are in hidden areas and crawl out at night.
Measures to detect pests:
- strips of double-sided tape inside furniture, on the floor near the bed, along the baseboards, on the walls, if there is no way to stick them, then leave the adhesive pads or strips of ordinary tape;
- The container with the liquid - installed so that it was possible to install the foot of the bed inside, the same is done with the other three;
- inspection of the room at night with a flashlight or sudden switching on of the light between 2 and 6 o'clock.
Appearance of bloodsuckers. What bed bugs and their eggs look like on clothes. Close-up photos
Insects are easily recognizable. External signs:
- dark coloration (brown, maroon, brown), the larvae of bed bugs on clothing are lighter in color;
- 6 legs;
- 1 pair of tendrils;
- elastic chitinous covers: the body enlarges several times after eating;
- The proboscis is short but powerful.
Adults differ from larvae in appearance mainly in size and coloration.
If the home is infested, things can also contain insects.
Bed bugs look the same in a clothes closet as they do in a nest in any other area:
- merchandise bedbugs live in groups;
- They leave traces of life - dark stains that are difficult to remove;
- there will be a specific smell in the closet where the insects exist, reminiscent of old cognac;
- where the parasites live, you can also find brown husks (this is the chitinous shell that bed bugs shed during molting);
- females make a clutch in their clothes: eggs are light in color, oval in shape, with a lid on one side, the length of such a formation is 1 mm.
The main pathways of spread and movement
After getting the answer to the question whether bed bugs live in clothes, you need to know how they get there. Pathways of entry for bloodsucking insects:
- through the ventilation shafts from the neighbors;
- inside the home appliances, brought sofa, bed or other furniture;
- on the clothing (which the person wore) or along with the items (when purchasing);
- insects crawl out of travel bags after traveling.
Bed bugs are active at certain times in a person's home. It is not accidental that they are active at night, but because they can get a portion of food unnoticed by a sleeping person. During the day, the parasites are not active.
They can be seen at this time only if a person has not spent the night at home for a long time, and the insects are pretty hungry.
Can I bring bed bugs on my clothes home from guests?
This possibility is present. Bedbugs crawl out of shelters at night, so a guest who stays in an infested apartment until morning risks being bitten.
And the parasites can even be brought home if, for example, some individuals did not have time to hide, linger on clothing or leave a clutch of eggs.
Pests pounce on a guest who is sleeping in a new place, also because of hunger, for example, when the homeowner himself has just returned from a business trip/travel.
What kind of clothes parasites like
Parasites prefer to settle among things that have creases, the texture of the material is embossed, which allows the parasites to comfortably settle. They prefer seams, but do not like fur products, as they are difficult to move around. In addition, bed bugs are more likely to inhabit things that still retain human scent (clothing, pajamas), but here the parasites are easy to detect.
Regarding the type of fabric, pests infest closets with clothes made of natural and synthetic materials, they do not care about the properties of the fibers.
Peculiarities of parasitization
To understand whether bed bugs can live in your clothes, you need to learn more about the intricacies of how they live. For example, pests can stay in a closet without restriction, as long as people don't look for them there.
But parasites do not inhabit furniture and belongings immediately, but several months after they appear in a person's home. This is explained by the fact that first they choose places to live closer to the host.
If the clothes closet/closet is next to the bed or couch, however, the pests can inhabit it almost immediately after entering uninfested areas.
Do clothes need to be treated?
To get rid of parasites, you should use a variety of products. However, when choosing them, it is necessary to remember about the safe use of things after the end of treatment. The advantage of using an insecticide is its prolonged action, so that the larvae that appeared after spraying the poisonous substance will also die. This is because bed bug eggs on clothing are unaffected by many poisons.
So, if you don't treat things, bed bugs in your clothes will continue to parasitize.
Do bed bugs bite through clothes?
Insects can live on woven material, they are able to move through it unhindered. However, the parasites will not be able to reach the skin on a closed area of the human body if they try to pierce it.
If a person sleeps in pajamas, the pests can move to another area: wrists, shins, neck, face. When there are no sleeping clothes on the body, the parasites bite everywhere, but more often they do it where the outer covers are more delicate.
They can only bite through epidermis that is not covered with anything.
Signs of insects
Pests can be detected by a number of characteristic manifestations:
- bites: neck, back, abdomen, face, limbs - upper, lower;
- unpleasant smell At home, those people who are familiar with the aroma of old cognac will immediately understand what its source is;
- Dirty clothes: brown husks, dark spots that merge into stains, as the fabric easily absorbs any liquids, even biological ones;
- insects, the shells of their eggs remain in the folds of things, inside furniture.
Destruction of bed bugs in clothing
To clean the room, you need to find and destroy insect nests. All furniture should be checked. It is freed from things. Clothes are cleaned from traces of pests, but some of the closet items cannot be saved.
There are different methods of exterminating bed bugs: physical, chemical and improvised means.